Blog #2

Posted in: edci338 | 4

The digital platforms that students currently use to develop their professional networks are institutional services such as their work e-mail, SharePoint, Google Docs, and university portals, as well as social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter, and blog-hosting sites. In expanding their professional learning network, the student could consider that integrating a professional image and objective into a relatively informal social media platform can be a helpful way to broaden their connections by establishing friendly relationships with individuals and subsequently transitioning those relationships into professionally beneficial connections. Data privacy and security can limit a professional learning network in that they reduce the degree to which an individual can be researched, which can hamper efforts to learn more about whether a prospective connection is viable. On the other hand, data privacy and security can promote a professional learning network by giving platform users assurance that their personal information is not going to be carelessly published on the internet for any person to research, which helps provide platform users with the sense of comfort that is required to keep utilizing the platforms.

In my network, I can create a digital identity and reputation using social media services such as TikTok and Twitter, as well as a blog. I can use these services to share personal and professional information about myself to followers and readers. 

Based on my V+R map, an employer to whom I applied for a job would find that I often use Google for professional purposes and that I have implemented Twitter into my networking practices. They may find useful employment information about me through Google services such as Google Docs.

4 Responses

1. kevingdzw

Hi Ruobing
    I think what you said is very reasonable. Students are particularly fond of using social platforms such as email. As far as I know, in addition to what you mentioned, Academia, Weibo, etc., they can also meet different people from different platforms, who are likely to help you in your career. Of course, in today’s big data network, we must protect our privacy. If my personal information or photos are maliciously used, it will have a great negative impact. So all kinds of platforms recall user privacy as a standard to protect everyone’s information, only in this way people will be willing to share on them. Your V+R map is also a good indicator of your abilities in various areas, and we can also find your best points based on your software.

2. spadger

Hi Ruobingbai, I quite agree with you. You clearly explain the relationship between social platforms and individuals. Social platforms can help people with employment and better planning in the future. Digital integration is an important part of the future.

3. chloeian0329

Hello Ruobing, I love your blog. Yes, I also think that data privacy and security will limit professional learning networks. As I wrote on my blog, they will only provide what people want to see, and they will not provide what they don’t want to see. Thank you!