Blog #4

Posted in: edci338 | 2

Diversity and inclusion are very important and pertinent topics in today’s world. With this in mind as well as the desire to grow my own PLN to be more diverse, I would choose to engage in a social media campaign that would promote those areas. If I were an educator, it is important to ensure that all our students feel accepted, safe, and that they truly belong. I would want to do a series of initiative, but my first would focus on LGBTQIA+ inclusion as members of this group have been experiencing hate and injustice over the years. 

For this initiative to be successful, it will be important to have a PLN that supports this group and has knowledge and expertise in how to improve inclusion of these individuals. To ensure I have a strong foundation as my PLN, I would look for diversity and inclusion advocates and experts that I could add to my PLN and ask them if they would be interested in helping me promote inclusion strategies, stories, ideas, etc., for the LGBTQIA+ community. I would hope to have individuals who had knowledge of the group as a whole, but also those who had experience, both professional and personal, with individual identities within the group. 

My campaign would include posting short videos to my social media sites with ideas for how to expand on inclusion of these individuals, doing so through research data sharing, personal accounts, education on identities, and activities that they can do within their own classrooms to promote inclusion in this area. In addition, I would also work to create a “Safe Zone” training those individuals could attend via social media, such as Facebook Live, to help encourage further action outside of social media and help them build inclusion at their individual organizations. 

2 Responses

1. spadger

Hi Ruobingbai, I agree that When we started designing our interactive learning program, we were faced with a variety of questions. There is an adage that there are always more ways than problems. We first need to clearly follow the UDL principles, The core principle of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is that designers pay attention to the limitations of their design, rather than any perceived limitations of learners. So INCLUSIVE DESIGN is very important.